Saturday, January 12, 2008

Drills on diction

  1. adip- fat; adipose- fatty tissue -Adipose provides insulation.
  2. bio- life; biology – the study of life -I took biology last semester with Dr. Mausdley.
  3. capit- head; decapitate- to take off the head -Back in the old days, they would decapitate people as punishment.
  4. cephal- head; cephalad- toward the head - Cephalad is a surgical term.
  5. corp- body; corpus- the main part of a bodily structure or organ - The corpus was in the morgue awaiting identification.
  6. crani- skull; cranium- pertaining to the skull - The cranium is located inside the head.
  7. dent- tooth; dentist – one who specializes in the study of teeth -I went to the dentist today, and they said my teeth were clean!
  8. hist- tissue; histology - the study of tissues - Histology is a subject that can be taken in medical school.
  9. later- side; lateral- pertaining to the side -The patient was turned lateral to the ultrasound machine.
  10. ocul- eye; oculist –one who specializes in the study of the eye - I went to the oculist (or ophthalmologist) today for an eye exam.
  11. oste- bone; osteoporosis-pores or holes in bones - My grandma says she’s at the age to get osteoporosis, so she is taking medication to stregthen her bones.
  12. phag- eat; phagocyte- a cell that eats - One type of white blood cells is the phagocyte.
  13. pleur- side; pleuraPublish Post- Serious infection can affect the plerua and create pain and difficulty breathing.
  14. quad- four; quadruplets- a group of four related by behavior - The lady’s belly was huge; turns out she’s having quadruplets!
  15. stern- chest; sternum-pertaining to the bone in the chest - The sternum is a important bone in our body.
  16. alb- white; albino-lacking normal pigmentation - The mixture of genes sometimes makes people albino.
  17. ad- toward; adrenaline-epinephrine - When I got to the top of the ride acrophobia I got an adrenaline rush!
  18. angi- vessel; angiograph- record of a vessel -A angiograph allows the doctor to examine the vessels to determine a better diagnosis.
  19. auto- self; autobiography- story of one's life written by self - I hate reading autobiographies!
  20. centi- hundred; centimeter- a unit of length equal to 1/100 of a meter - In math one of the first measurements you learn is the centimeter.
  21. circum- around; circumference-the boundary line of a circle - My baby’s head was 13.5 inches in circumference.
  22. dextro- right; dextrin-a white or yellow powder used chiefly as an adhesive - A low molecular weight carbohydrate is also now as dextrin.
  23. epi- upon; epidural-located around the dura mater- As soon as I got an epidural, I was numb!
  24. ex- out of; extension- the position assumed by extending a limb - It is a good idea to extend your limbs and stretch prior to jogging.
  25. inter- between; internal- inside of the body -The doctor said I need serious surgery because of my internal bleeding.
  26. non- not; nonviable- not living - A miscarriage occurs when there is a nonviable fetus.
  27. ortho- straight; orthodontics-one who specializes in the straightening of teeth - I want my teeth to be straight, so I’m going to the orthodontics.
  28. path- disease; pathological-pertaining to the origin - A pathologist studies the causes or origins of diseases.
  29. pseudo- false; pseudopodium- Amoebas have pseudopodia.
  30. sinistro- left; sinistrad- toward the left side - The body was facing sinistrad to the surgeon.
  31. cide- kill; pesticide-a solution designed to kill - Pesticide really does help keep bugs away.
  32. it is- inflame; hepatitis-inflammatino of the liver - The hepatitis B shot is very important to our health.
  33. logy- study of; biology- study of life - Biology is the study of life and a very popular subject for students that are pre-med.
  34. meter- measure; thermometer-instrument used to measure - I thought I had a fever, so I checked my temperature with my thermometer.
  35. plasty- formed; osteoplasty- formation of bone - Orthopedics involves learning all about the bones, including osteoplasty.
  36. scope- examine; microscope- instrument used to examine - We looked at all kinds of bacteria through the microscope.

1 comment:

Duval said...

Wonderful, but could you please change the color of the font. I had to cut and paste this assignment into a word document and change the color there so I could read it. I know I look younger, but my eyes have always been bad.